Phitkari White Crystals
Latin : Potassium Alum (Hydrated double Salt)
Other Names : White Alum, Safed Fitkari, Phatkari, Fatkadi, Phitkari, phatkiri, phatphadi, aluminous sulphate, sulphate of alumina and potash, sulphate of aluminium and ammonium, Phatkari, Phitkari, Phitikhari, Phitkiri, Fatkari, Pati-Karam, Padikharam, Shinacarum, Sphatikari, surashtraja, kamakshi, tuvari, pitki.
Origin : India
Naturally sourced Alum
Potassium alum, is the hydrated form of potassium aluminium sulphate and has the chemical formula KAl(SO4)2·12H2O.
Uses of Alum
- Water purification,
- Stops Bleeding on Minor cuts, especially while Shaving,
- the adjuvant in vaccines (a chemical that enhances the immune response)
- Mouth Ulcer or Boils
- deodorant “rock”
- Can be added to Pickles, helps to keep them crispy
- Flame retardant
- the acidic component of some types of baking powder
- an ingredient in some homemade and commercial modelling clay
- an ingredient in some depilatory (hair removal) waxes
- skin whitener
- ingredient in some brands of toothpaste
Therapeutic Uses of Alum:
Various therapeutic properties of alum are listed below.
- Antiplatelet (prevents platelet aggregation)
- Anti- haemorrhagic (stops bleeding)